1. What is a Digital Signature Certificate?
Digital Signature Certificates (DSC) are the digital equivalent
(that is electronic format) of physical or paper certificates.
Examples of physical certificates are drivers' licenses,
passports or membership cards. Certificates serve as proof of
identity of an individual for a certain purpose; for example, a
driver's license identifies someone who can legally drive in a
particular country. Likewise, a digital certificate can be
presented electronically to prove your identity, to access
information or services on the Internet or to sign certain
2. Why is Digital Signature Certificate (DSC) required?
Like physical documents are signed manually, electronic
documents, for example e-forms are required to be signed
digitally using a Digital Signature Certificate.
3. Who issues the Digital Signature Certificate?
A licensed Certifying Authority (CA) issues the digital
signature. Certifying Authority (CA) means a person who has been
granted a license to issue a digital signature certificate under
Section 24 of the Indian IT-Act 2000.
4. What are the different types of Digital Signature Certificates
valid for MCA21 program?
The different types of Digital Signature Certificates are: Class
2: Here, the identity of a person is verified against a trusted,
Class 3: This is the highest level where the person
needs to present himself or herself in front of a Registration
Authority (RA) and prove his/ her identity.
5. What type of Digital Signature Certificate (DSC) is to be
obtained for eFiling on the MCA Portal? DSC of Class 2 and Class
3 category issued by a licensed Certifying Authority (CA) needs
to be obtained for efiling on the MCA Portal.
6. Is Director Identification Number (DIN) a pre-requisite to
apply for DSC?
7. What is the cost of obtaining a Digital Signature
The cost of obtaining a digital signature certificate may vary as
there are many entities issuing DSCs and their charges may
8. How much time do CAs take to issue a DSC?
The time taken by CAs to issue a DSC may vary from three to seven
9. What is the validity period of a Digital Signature
The Certifying Authorities are authorized to issue a Digital
Signature Certificate with a validity of one or two years.
10. What is the legal status of a Digital Signature?
Digital Signatures are legally admissible in a Court of Law, as
provided under the provisions of IT
11. On submitting details for DSC registration, system gives
error message “Remove the invalid characters(s)
in………….’ What should I do?
You are required to fill the name(s) without using any special
character(s) such as dots ".". For example if the name was filled
in DIN application using words such as "Sh." or "Mrs." now same
should be filled as "Sh" or "Mrs".
11. How can I carry a Digital Signatures
Certificate to the Physical Front Office (PFO)?
You can carry your Digital Signature in a portable media, namely
Smart Card/ USB Drive as provided by the Certifying
12. How is a Digital Signature affixed to an e-form?
Click the Digital Signature field in the e-form. The system will
prompt you to sign the eform through a digital signature that is
stored on your portable media.
13. Is a company required to obtain a Digital Signature
Certificate in its own name for efiling?
Digital Signature Certificate (DSC) is not required by Companies
but by individuals. For example the Director or the Company
Secretary, signing on behalf of the Company requires a DSC.
14. Are all directors of a company required to obtain DSC?
No. Only the directors, who will be the authorized signatories of
the company, for the e-filing purpose, are required to obtain a
15. Can I do e-filing of documents if I do not possess a DSC?
No.It is mandatory to have a valid digital signature
certificate(DSC) for e-filing the forms on the MCA portal.
16. Are multiple DSCs required for professionals rendering
services to different companies?
No. A DSC is unique to each individual. If a professional has
obtained a DSC, he/ she can use the same DSC for efiling of forms
for multiple companies, provided he/ she has been authorized to
do so by the respective companies.
17. Is the Company Secretary in whole-time employment required to
obtain a DSC?
Yes. If the Company Secretary is an authorized signatory, he/ she
is required to obtain a DSC.
18. What safety precautions should one take while using a Digital
You should keep the media carrying your digital signature safely
and not disclose your password to anybody.
19. What if somebody gains possession of my digital signature?
Digital Signatures are password protected and cannot be copied
from a digitally signed document.
For further information on Digital Signatures, please click on
the link 'DSC -Acquire Digital Signatures' on the MCA portal.
20. What are the Browser Security Settings required for the
download of Digital Signature Certificate?
You have to follow the steps given below:
If the CCA and TCS-CA certificates are not
installed in your browser click the link below to download the
Certificate Trust Chain.
Go to View | Tools > Internet Options > Security.
Click “Internet’ and change the Security Settings to
Click “Custom Level’ Button.
Enable the “Download Signed ActiveX controls’
Enable the “Run ActiveX controls and Plugins’